The Life and Legacy of Stephen B. Oates
September 9 | Channel 15 | 9am - 5pm : Join us for a day-long symposium and memorial service honoring late UMass History Professor Stephen B. Oates, live on Channel 15.
The UMass Amherst Department of History, College of Humanities and Fine Arts, and the UMass Amherst Libraries invite the community to commemorate and celebrate the life of esteemed professor of history, Stephen B. Oates.
The full-day symposium and memorial service will take place on Friday, September 9, 2022 from 9am to 5pm.
- Harold Holzer, keynote speaker, renowned Lincoln scholar, and current chair of The Lincoln Forum;
- Catherine Clinton, acclaimed author & Civil War historian
- Frank Williams, retired chief justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court and chair emeritus of The Lincoln Forum
- David A. Lowy ’83, associate justice, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
- Lynn Pasquerella, president of the American Association of Colleges & Universities; 18th president of Mount Holyoke College
- Gretchen H. Gerzina, professor of English and Paul Murray Kendall chair in biography, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Carla Kaplan, Davis distinguished professor of American literature, professor of women’s, gender, & Sexuality Studies, Northeastern University
- Playthell Benjamin, Black Studies pioneer, scholar, award-winning journalist, and broadcaster
- Jonathan Hensleigh ’81, major motion picture writer, director, and producer
- Joyce Berkman, emerita professor of history, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Helen Sheehy, writer, lecturer, and consultant
Amherst Media will be there to capture the day-long event. It will be available immediately to rewatch on our YouTube channel.